Tuesday, February 11, 2014

DAY 11: Pray more for your family

Well, that's an easy one!  Of course we should all do this.
I had a great conversation with my 13yo one night after youth group.  She is new to the youth group and the church I am sending her to.  I thoroughly love the folks heading up the tutoring program before youth group and I love the families of kids who are going, so I thought it would be a good thing for the girls to get involved in outside of school or sports.
C said they were saying prayers one night and that the prayers seemed selfish.  She said that praying seems selfish and she doesn't know how to pray so that she isn't that way.  I told her just not to pray for things for herself and that I really don't know the answer, but I agree with her.  We talked a lot that night about it. . . and that girl can talk . . . for hours.  She holds it all in until about 10pm and then she pours out the events and feelings of the day.  I do love it though.
Anyway, I suggested that she use an "already made" prayer or to make up her own that doesn't change from night-to-night.  This way, she could be sure to keep selfish wants out of it.  We also talked about asking God for strength and patience, as those are things that could really benefit others as well as yourself.

I could definitely spend some time praying more for my family though.  It is always a good suggestion and it makes for a very easy challenge.

No comments: